Diversity is a complex and multifaceted subject. Though there remains work to be done, the wine industry should proceed optimistically. The most recent diversity survey, albeit not rigorously controlled, places the share of white employees in the UK wine trade at around 86%, slightly below the population total as of the 2011 consensus. However, the remaining 14% is not split according to representation in the wider population, suggesting further examination could be of value. While both existing and historic racial prejudice account for a percentage of observable disparities between racial groups, less insidious variables can help us understand a considerable portion of these disparities. One of these variables is age. An individuals age correlates strongly with their level of education, work experience, seniority, income, and more. The way people connect with the world also varies depending on age, not simply because younger folk differ in their interests and expressions compared to their seniors, but also because preferences evolve throughout generations. The average age of black brits is 30, Asian brits 29 and white brits 41. 65.6% of the black British community is under 39 compared to just 47.5% of the white british community. Hate it or love it, wine events are generally stuffy affairs suited more to older wine drinkers than existing or prospective younger enthusiasts. A fresh take on events post-COVID may well prove key to achieving long-term diversity goals and improving the accessiblity of the wine industry as a whole.
The most fantastic of experiences often occur out of chance encounters. After being impressed by the several great reviews I had read about Champagne Paul Launois, his philosophy and his wines I decided to try my luck and request a last-minute visit with him.
There is a somewhat small range of primary descriptors used by those in the industry which subsequently become the go to guidelines for a broad range of consumers. Whether a wine is dry or not is amongst the most popular characteristic used to judge whether one does or does not favour a wine. But what does it really mean? What makes a dry wine?
Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the world’s most widely recognised, enjoyed and planted red wine grape varieties and is grown in nearly every major wine producing region in the world including France, Canada, Chile, Argentina, Lebanon, Australia and many more. But what do you really know about this grape?
It is commonplace to flaunt a vineyards altitude in plain sight on a bottle of Argentinian Malbec with producers competing to show that they work with the highest-altitude vineyards. So why exactly is Argentinian Malbec grown at such high-altitude?
Fantastic evening with Dom Perignon at the Michelin starred Simpsons in Birmingham. During the evening we tasted DP Vintage 09, Rosé 05, DP P2 2000, 99 and 98. Check out this post in which I explain exactly what the Dom Perignon P2 series is and also share my tasting notes from the evening.
As a 16 year old I remember working in the cold, damp warehouse of a recycled clothing store. Frequently I would find myself muttering frustratedly under my breath that I was certain the store’s customers would never give me any credit for my work and that the more glamorous store assistants would be the recipients of their gratitude. I think that if our beloved yeast could speak they would vent similar frustrations. So often we wax poetic about the beauty of soil, terroir, vineyard management and climate but less often do we give yeast their fare share of our appreciation. This article will explore in a little more detail the role of yeast in winemaking.
Exactly what it is which forms the final flavour profile of a wine is complex, multi-faceted and in the most part unknown. Despite this particular dominating aroma or flavour have come to define particular varieties. The petrol aroma in Riesling is one of them. I don’t know why, but I just can’t get enough of it, I’m a petrolhead. But what exactly is it? A fault? A varietal characteristic? Whatever it is, it‘s aroma that divides wine lovers and mystifies the casual wine drinker. This post will explore its origins and discuss in more detail viticultural and climatic factors affecting its presence and concentration.